November 10, 2011

Things I've Learned - Yr 2

So, my 2 year Etsyversary came and went.  I always ask in my interviews to other Etsy sellers what advice they can give to others.  Here are some things I've learned for myself.

1.  Find a way for your shop to stand out.  Because of Etsy's new relevancy search becoming the default, renewing tons of items a day won't cut it and bring in as many views as it once did.  So, either make your items stand out through your backgrounds, models, lighting, or any way you can think of.  I became desperate because my views got so low that I started modeling myself in my postpartum body.  Luckily, it brought on more views.

2.  Don't get discouraged about low sales.  This industry has seasons of lows and highs.  If you are having low sales, others are also.  Just keep on listing and in a couple of  months, your sales will get better.  I've seen this pattern the last 24 months, so I don't get as discouraged (although it is still quite nervewracking when the sales do get low.)

3.  Etsy is a community and people are helpful, but only up to a certain point.  When I first began Etsy, I expected people to be super nice and lend a helping hand regarding anything.  But, I realized that Etsy is also a competitive marketplace and sometimes, you won't get help with certain questions.  You're going to have to figure some things out for yourself, like photography lighting, or where to find items for your shop. 

I'll stop here because I don't want to bore anyone with my essay.  Hope these are helpful.  Anyone agree, disagree, or have any other sage advice to offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment