November 11, 2010

Banana Zucchini Bread

Now that I have a spacious kitchen with stainless steel appliances, I find myself transforming into the domestic wife and mother I always knew I could be.  Also, since our family is trying to save more money, I really try not to waste food.  So, when I saw 3 overly ripe bananas on my fruit stand, instead of just letting them rot more before I threw them out because I was too grossed out to eat them, I decided to make bread.  Usually, I make just banana bread, but my intake of vegetables has been lacking, so I decided to add zucchini and it came out deliciously!

The recipe is originally for 2 dozen muffins, but I didn't have the patience to make muffins, having only one muffin pan, so I made 6 muffins and 1 loaf of bread from this recipe.

Here's the recipe- Adapted from Taste of Home:
4 eggs beaten
3 medium overly ripened bananas mashed (about 1-1 1/2 cups)
1 cup of shredded unpeeled zucchini
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt


Preheat your oven at 350 degrees.

1.  Line 2 muffin pans with paper liners and set aside (or you can be like me and make 6 muffins and 1 loaf of bread)
2. In a bowl, beat the eggs, then blend in sugar and oil.
3. Add the bananas to the egg mixture and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, stir the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Then stir this into the egg mixture, little by little. 
5. Fold in the shredded zucchini until all combined.
6. Fill the muffin cups halfway and bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.  For bread, bake for 40-50 minutes at 350, or until a tester comes out clean.
7.  Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.



I accidentally underbaked my bread, which is why it kind of caved in the middle.  What, I'm just becoming domestic, so give me a break.  Anyhow, the bread was so good that even my 21 month old ate it, and he doesn't like bread. 

If anyone else has any other good bread recipes out there, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment