January 12, 2010

Tuesday's Treasure- thegreedyseagull

As a fairly new vintage shop owner, there are several ETSY Vintage shops that inspire me, and thegreedyseagull definitely is one of them.  Her eclectic selection of affordable and beautiful vintage along with her clear and crisp photography create such a beautiful shop!


Meet Giana, aka "thegreedyseagull"

Here's more about the owner:

5 interesting facts about me are...
1. I’m a New York City transplant- grew up in California and moved across the country two and a half years ago.
2. I started out as an Art History major, and wanted to do restoration for a living. I spent a semester abroad in Florence and got to work on several pieces of authentic Renaissance art in a conservation lab. I couldn’t hack the organic chemistry.
3. When I was little, I built a miniature zoo on the side of my house with all kinds of small wild animals that I trapped and took care of.
4. I am inexplicably flexible. I can get my hands flat on the ground in 6 inch heels and my feet behind my head. (That is quite interesting)
5.I can imitate crows so well that they will talk back to me if I caw at them.

The era that inspires me most is...
though very hard to choose,the mid 50’s to early 60’s. Style was feminine, but also playful and bold. I was really into the rockabilly scene in southern California as a teenager; I went to car shows, swing danced and dated boys with pompadours and I am still really nostalgic about that whole era. Also, clothes from this time period tend to look the best on my figure so I think I naturally gravitate towards them.

A gorgeous 50s dress from thegreedyseagull's shop

I began my Etsy shop as...
a hobby to pass the time and make a little extra cash. My guy is in law school and is always studying, and I needed something to do. I tried Ebay with some luck, but eventually got sick of it. When I discovered Etsy, I was really inspired by some of the beautiful vintage shops whose owners had made them all their own and decided to give it a try.

My Daily Routine consists of...
getting up between 8am and 9am, unless I am going to an estate sale in which case it’s usually 5 am. The first thing I do is check Etsy, then I make coffee and answer convos. If the light is right, I will orchestrate a photo shoot, which generally takes a couple hours. If it’s not, I will go out and hunt for new stock and go to the gym. Later in the day, I will package up all my shipments that need to go out and make a mad dash to the post office. I get more strong coffee and cook dinner, and spend time with my boyfriend.


After dinner, I measure, wash, mend, and do my listings. This usually goes on until midnight or so. All throughout the day, I check my Blackberry for new convos; I am OCD about getting back to people fast. I also browse blogs, Etsy, and pay attention to my doggie. Weekends are almost always taken up by estate sales and thrifting. Usually I take a couple days a week off since I work such long hours.

Etsy started out as a hobby, and has become my full time job. Up until September, I had a full time office job (which I hated) and was frantically trying to keep up with increasing business, hauling packages on the subway and running to the post office on lunch breaks. It was exhausting, but rewarding. I was laid off in September and decided that I needed to make my shop work as a full time job.

My vintage collection consists of..

a carefully curated collection (due to limited closet space) heavy on dresses, coats, and jewelry. I’d say about half my wardrobe is vintage; I like to mix it in with current pieces to keep things looking relevant. I have a soft spot for leopard coats, beaded sweaters and weathered USA made leather pieces.


My favorite thing in the shop right now is...
this insanely beautiful pair of black crocodile embossed stiletto boots. It’s really hard to believe they are vintage, because they look like a pair of Prada boots. They are a fine example of how vintage can fit seamlessly into a modern wardrobe.
 
My routine while I'm listing is...

I like to listen to Pandora usually on The Decemberists station. Iron and Wine, Edith Piaf, and Patsy Cline are also favorites. When I take photos, I like to play dancy music to keep up my energy; Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie, and (please don’t tell) Lady Gaga.

I hope you enjoyed the interview with this delightful shop owner.  Here are just 2 of my favorites from her shop (believe me, I have many)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment